Monday, May 2, 2011

It was a good Monday...

With the storms still going on last night, I had a room full of kiddos, and a dog.  Little C was awake for a couple of hours right when I wanted to go to bed, so I was very concerned about my rainy Monday when I awoke this morning.   I didn't expect it to go well.   I pray everynight to help me have a good day with the kids, to be a good mom, and to have lots of patience.  Some days that goes better than others.  haha  Today was a good day!  I really did have my doubts.  I am not a morning person at all, and if you ever saw the chaos first thing in the morning, you would see why my morning starts off with me a big grump.  I can't even go to the bathroom or drink my coffee in peace!  Anyway, I sat down with my coffee at the computer to get a few mins of fb time, and I came across this post...."Best Housekeeping Tip of the Week thinking, "I really need that...haha, and then was just hit with a good dose of the medicine I needed to turn my day around.

 I have been tired, and off my schedule lately, and there is something that causes my brain to forget all knowledge I have to help regulate my 2 littles.  I get tired, I relax, they get wild, we all get frustrated...those are the times they need regulation the most!  I told Daddy C today to please, please remind me on our off days to get my act together and do their sensory diet with them, even if I do nothing else that day.   The difference between their day and mine when I follow it is a world of difference.  Z was HYPED up.  As he has been everyday since it has been raining and we have all been inside and wanting lazy days.  Today, both littles had their sensory brushing, wore weighted backpacks/blanket, and played with their vibrating toothbrushes before schoolwork began.
 The girls really enjoy doing activities with the littles...it reminds me of playing teacher when I was little...only I was alone, talking to my imaginary classroom...they have real people to play with!  haha 
 I have taken the time to gather up a variety of sensory and learning activities for the little boys' level, and keep them in boxes, and keep them put away, only to be pulled out during their table/school time.  I have been so surprised that I have been able to be strict enough to actually keep this stuff together for several months now.  In fact, long enough for Z to master the things in his box, get new items, and pass his down to little brother.  (whom is about to catch up with him.....that actually makes me a little excited to begin preschool in the fall to include both of them)  Except big sister L really, really wants to be their preschool teacher....and I am very happy to share that responsibilty with her! ;) 

 Table time can last between 30 mins....and sometimes up to an hour if they have a snack too...and we keep the activities rotating.  I have also done this while the big kids were doing schoolwork...today, the girls did it while I was cooking and cleaning the kitchen.  Which works out great...I can direct, and they are out of my way while I work.   Plus, little C has his eyes on me the whole time....just like he needs.

 Is it just me, or is this boy looking grown up?  I realized today, we are only 2 months away from his THIRD birthday!  Where has the time gone??
 Once they got restless, the girls took them to the den and made a big pile of blankets and pillows to jump/bounce on, and they listened to music.   Then, an amazing thing happen.  The big kids all left the room and were playing quietly, and Z and C were GETTING ALONG, and playing nicely together. (they have the "mineitis" these days...fighting over everything the other has)  They were both calm, and not rough with each other at all, nobody was crying, and C didn't care if I was in the room.  The great thing about our house is we have a window above the sink that leads to the living room, and I can see what they are doing while I am in the kitchen.  Kick myself in the head...why have I been a slacker these rainy days???

I am wanting to do a post about how I have been batch/freezer cooking lately, but that will have to be for another day.  Today was a cooking day since everything else was going so smoothly around here, and I made Taco Soup, Chilli, and Veg soup....in about the time the boys were occupied. 
 On another note....We got a new gate to replace the one I crashed through!  haha  I love this gate.  We tried to go a few weeks without it, and well, we just had to, for safety, get another one.  Z just doesn't understand not to slam into the stove...or try to reach on top...makes me a nervous wreck....I didn't even want to cook if they were awake....so we had to have this gate....he had figured out how to open the other one, so I am really glad it broke and we had to get a new one...b/c even us adults have a time sometimes opening it....I am not sure if he will be able to figure out how to open this one!  (**wow, that's a long sentence!)
 Another beautiful thing happen....all of the 'work' Z did this morning, and sensory integration, he was able to lay in the floor camly with his brother and watch t.v....you have to know this high energy boy...that rarely happens!  Also, neither boy protested nap time too.
 I did my first canning today!  I am so excited!  I canned vegetable soup, with the help of a sweet friend on facebook...thank you!!



No comments: