Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Trying to make a tiny laundry room function, when washing clothes for 8

So, this is my laundry room....uh I mean, you can just about call it a closet.  We had a closet in our last house and b/c of the location, I could let the laundry flow out into the room....this room is perfectly located in the hallway by the bedrooms, but my overflow goes into the hallway.  I used to fold all my laundry in the living room, but as our family has grown, that just makes a big mess of clothes, so out of neccessity, I had to find something that works.

Here R is standing in front of my washer to show how little space there is between my washer, and the only spot for a laundry basket. 


I installed a shower curtain rod to hang all of my hangers.  These baskets, I found them at Dollar Tree a couple of years ago.  Each child has their own basket, so as I fold clothes, I sort their clothes...when the basket gets full, I call them in there to go put the clothes away.  Sometimes I have them put up the clothes for the little boys too...but I usually just leave them...it seems easier to have the clothes in there so I can lay clothes out when they are asleep.  These baskets actually hold more than they look like they do.  I have added another one for our newest member, but I sure wish I had one more to line up with the others.

Today Daddy C installed this nice board for me...and I am so excited to have this smooth folding table!  It goes all the way to the back and to both sides, so now I will no longer lose a ton of things by them falling off the back...which happened all the time.  I am so excited!


I hang the grown up hooks on the door...b/c in theory I can put them away faster....uh no...I think I am the last one to put up my own clothes!


 These are just some utility bars I found at Home Depot...very inexpensive.  They hold so many clothes, but I love being able to hang this direction b/c we couldn't have fit a bar very well to go the other way.  I hang clothes for the older children here.
   (except right now I have sweet little baby girl's clothes there ;)
 This is a smaller hook that works great for the little boy's clothes....using every bit of space I have in there.  And, the only reason you can even see wall space in these photos is b/c I took all the clothes to the closets so C could get into my room to add the boards.  I should have taken a before picture!


To make me smile a bit while doing laundry...I hung these photos of some flowers my mom gave me one Valentine's day.

Don't you love my service award??  L made this once in Sunday School....it always makes me smile when I open the cabinet door.  What an honorable award ;)

Any ideas?  I have thought about taking the doors off the cabinets and just having open shelves to store smaller laundry baskets...the shelves are adjustable...but I don't know if it would really help..I can only reach 2 shelves up and I would still need to have my sock basket and cleaning supplies...I just feel like I would like to create some more function space up top.

And on most days, the hall is part of my laundry room...I hate this...this is the darkest hallway ever, and it is pretty common for someone to round the corner and trip over laundy ;)

When it is time to put away laundy, I call all the kids to the doorway, and I pass our the hanging clothes, have them put those up, and then they come back and I hand them their basket.  It makes laundry put away very easy!  Even the little boys enjoy getting to help carry their hanging clothes to their room.

Don't let this post deceive you....I am drowning in laundry just about everyday.  Just think though, if I didn't have an organizational system...it would really be bad!  haha

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Well, you wrote this post almost 2 months ago so I am terribly late to comment, but I adore the color of your laundry room walls! So cheerful and beautiful!