Tuesday, September 28, 2010

apples, apples, and apples!

We have been reading the book "How to Make and Apple Pie and see the World"  and also The Apple Doll.  I bought a big bag of apples, and Saturday was out apple day.   I burned my fall candle for my inspiration :)



 I love caramel apples from the fair, but I have never made them.  This kit was by the apples, so I decided to try it, as the kids have never had caramel apples.  Next time, I will buy the package of already made caramel apples from the store.  This was a total disaster.
 This shows you how my brain works. The directions called for 8 oz of milk....so I used a baby bottle to measure the 8 oz :)  That was the only way my brain could think to do that.  (even though I think it is marked on my measuring cup)
 While the caramel was cooking, the kids all peeled their apples for the apple dolls.


 Then we carved faces on them,
and soaked them in a bowl of lemon juice for 30 mins.  Now they have to dry for about a week, I will show you the dolls when we finish them.
 L found this project from her library book, so she was really excited to make these.

 This is all you will see of my caramel apples!  I didn't have a candy thermometer, so I had to guess at the temp, and I am horrible at that, so the caramel got so hard, it could have broken teeth.  N loved them and licked them like suckers, and ate 2, I don't know how he did that!
 We were also going to make an apple pie, and I was going to teach the kids how to make the crust from scratch, but I decided that would have to be for another day.  After the caramel disaster, and nearly ruining my best broiler pot (I had to soak it with soda for 3 days to get it all out), I decided to quit, before there was more disasters!  haha 


1 comment:

Lindsay-ann said...

Can't wait to see the apple dolls. Such an unusual idea. Looks like lots of appley fun at your house.
Lindsay
x