That title is the story of our life these days I believe. The boys were going to therapy twice a week, but I have cut it down to 1 time a week. Little C was just evaluated for Occupational Therapy, and he did qualify. He has done great meeting his fine motor skills milestones, but he has a lot going on sensory wise. If I hadn't learned what I have with Z, I would just think he was moody and fussy. I have learned a lot that when he is fussy, certain sensory techniques really help. As part of the evaluation, I filled out a sensory profile. He actually has more sensory issues going on that I had realized, he have just all already learned ways that help him out alot, which is good. He will start that as soon as it is approved from the doctor, and then both boys will be getting speech and occupational therapy. I see that they are both getting benefit from them, and I am getting a lot from it too. It just helps keep me on track. Talking with his therapists just remind me of things I need to do during the week that help regulate them, and I can always ask questions, we have some great therapists. I am really excited after talking with C's new therapist today.
Both of our girls go to Speech therapy once a week. They have always had trouble with their "r's" and "w's", but the just didn't grow out of it. They LOVE their therapy. They get it through the UCA Speech Pathology program, and I have been super pleased. They do a lot of fun activities with them while they are working on them.
Today in therapy, they were working with me again on a brushing technique and joint compressions. This is can be calming, and they want me to work hard to do it every 2 hrs everyday, for 2 weeks to see what kind of difference it will make with Z. She suggested that I get my children involved, and teach them how to do it as well. L got very excited about learning to do it with him. I am telling you, she is my therapist in the making. Tonight, she was using some of her speech techniques she has learned with Z to encourage him to say his words.
We tried to take a photo of me doing the brushing technique with him, but it turned out blurry, and then the battery died. This is simply a surgeon scrub brush. It is very soft, but you use a little pressure as you are rubbing it on his limbs. It is actually very soothing to us (the kids and I have tried it out...it makes me want to go so sleep! haha)
We had a follow up with the ENT yesterday after Z's ear surgery. They couldn't get a good reading on his hearing test b/c he has been having some ear drainage, so we will have to go back. Wheh, my experience in that waiting room with him gave me a sensory overload! Oh my...I am learning now that he is older, and more defiant, that when he gets out of balance, he has become very hard to control. He used to be my little traveler, and so good to go anywhere, but lately it has been very hard. I will have to be more prepared for our next visit so I don't lose my mind. haha We also have a surgery scheduled for next Thursday to remove a cist from Z's throat. It is minor, but he will have to stay in the hosptial overnight. I am very anxious about this one. Mainly b/c I know how agitated he will be with the IV,and having to be still, and confined in a hospital room. Please pray for us next Thursday! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment