Monday, February 14, 2011

today I was reminded I have a big family, Happy Valentine's Day!

The kids put their Vaentine's goodies by the fireplace last night, waiting for everyone to get up.  This blur is pretty accurate of how the scene looked :)  R fell asleep in the chair last night, and this morning she realized she didn't have anything for anyone.  She is so sensitive, she wouldn't talk to anyone, but quietly went in her room, and reappeared awhile later with love notes, and gifts (things that belonged to her) to give to everyone.

This is so typical of L.  She made the majority of the cards.  She loves holidays.  She plans them, and gets her gifts together way before anyone else does.  She puts a lot of time and thought into it, and she will make a holiday her #1 priority until she has it all together.  She has been planning Valentine's day since the week after New Years :)  She put everyone's card in some type of container, a hat, bag, toys...much like their stockings,  I guess.
At the last minute, we decided to join a Valentine's party with other children in their online school.  We all had a great time!  I was reminded today that I do have a big family. I know it may sound crazy to say this, b/c my circle of people lately, makes me just not think about 5 being a lot of kids.  So many of my friends have 4, 5, and 6 children.  It really just seems normal to me.  Today, I don't know if any of the families there had more than 2 kids.  Seriously.  I have several ask me "how many kids DO you have?"  They were all very nice...just surprised.  Also, none of the families had any children younger than 5 with them but me. 

Little brother has learned from the best how to pester someone :)  Today, he kept pulling fists full of Z's hair...popping him in the head...you really can't put these 2 beside each other.  haha  Z had pink cookie icing all in his hair from little brother's hands!
Do you see that loot they came home with??  WOW!  They were so glad we decided to go to the party!  L said it looked like Halloween on our dining table!
Also, as if Valentine fun doesn't make a big enough mess, L's curriculum arrived today.  We now have all 3 enrolled, and all the books/supplies for everyone. 
And, since Valetine fun, and 60 lbs of school books/packaging didn't make enough mess...with this warm weather, they had to dig out summer clothes to put on....and then look at everyone's clothes, try on clothes, strew clothes....wheh...made this momma tired.   I told them they had to pick it ALL up before we went outside to play......do you think they did?  Only halfway.
N loves for Z to wear this shirt.  My mother in law got this for N as a souvenior when she went on a cruise, and he wore it all the time when he was little.

They were also excited to see him in his first real flip flops!  I told him to let me take a pic of his feet...and he posed them for me :)
It was a beautiful, beautiful day.  Our back yard is a big muddy mush, so we had to go in the front.
Z loves to go out there...but also prefers to walk near the street the whole time he is out there.  Makes me a nervous wreck, even when I am right beside him b/c he freaks out if I try to guide him away when a car is coming.  I will have to pick him up, and then he just goes nuts....so we usually just stay inside, but it was just too pretty today.
I got Z  interested in pushing this stroller...gave him strong, busy work...he liked it...we pushed the stroller all over the place...and then we had to go in.  My nerves couldn't take anymore! I just have to be too on guard when he is outside in the front.  I ended being the "mean mom" too.  I let the big kids play awhile, but then I made them come inside early b/c they still had such a mess everywhere!!  "But momma, everyone in the neighborhood was outside!"  Sorry, there is always another day to play, I told them. 

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Aww, such sweet pictures. I like that shirt, too!
And such kind precious hearts they have.
I know what you mean; around my friends, I feel like 4 kids is just normal...maybe even small! And then I go out to a restaurant or play or something, and people comment continuously on our "large family." It just cracks me up!

also~ I have a little one who gravitates towards the street, and I totally know what you mean. We fenced our ENTIRE yard, so I can pull the vehicles up and close the large front gates. It's saved my sanity. Maybe a good idea for your tax refund? ;)

Mandy said...

lol Oh we are so spoiled to have each other - who else makes our insane # of kids feel normal? :)

Wow they got away with TONS of stuff... that's one awesome VDay party!

Your house is so pretty.. I hope we can get up that way this summer!

Brenda said...

I hate being in the front yard too. Plus if they are in the back I can go inside and get things done while they play.