Friday, January 21, 2011

Once upon a time I used to sew


I really have always been a straight stitch, straight line sewing kinda girl.  That is just as far as my skill takes me, but I used to sew a pretty good bit.  Daddy C and I recovered our first couch that my great aunt gave us when we got married, then I sewed curtains to match.  I made pillows, and pieced a couple of quilts.  When N was born, I lucked up and found fabric that matched his crib bedding set, so I sewed curtains, a dust ruffle, and a few other things to match.  I really enjoyed sewing.  My machine was one my mom had purchased used in the 70's that she gave to me when I got married and she got a new one.  One day, as I was getting so mad at that machine, my mom said to me, "there was a reason I got a new machine, why don't you go buy you a new one since you sew a lot".  I convinced my hubby for a new machine, and I bet I can count on 2 hands how many times I have used this machine since getting it. 

Alright, I kinda veered off my story a bit.  Anyway, once upon a time, I was a mother or 2 little ones, pregnant with #3 on the way, with a 2 1/2 bedroom house.  The 1/2 bedroom did serve as a bedroom sometimes, but was really not practical for a bedroom.  The kids bedroom was a very large room, but I hated that I couldn't fix up a cute boy room, and a cute girl room.  So, I got my mind set on bright primary colors.  The wall was yellow, I made bed ruffles out of some brightly checked fabric, I made a crib bumper pad cover out of tie dye fabric...I liked it.  I never could find or purchase any cute pictures to go on the walls to decorate, so I decided to make them name wall hangings.  They are pieced and quilted, I think my mom had to help me some b/c I did have trouble.  They are far from perfect, but my kids still love them. 
 N's still hangs in his room.  Now, here is the problem....when I was pregnant, I didn't know if I was going to have a girl or boy with #3, so I had to wait until she was born to know.  Well, I bet you can guess what happened after that :(  (That is the face she gives me everytime she looks at these quilts).  I had 3 babies aged 2 and under, when she was 4 months old, I went back to work.  Then we moved.  Then we started our photo business, then we moved again.  Then I was home with 3 children aged 1, 2, and 3, running a photo business from home.  So, do you think I ever had time to make that quilt?  Honestly, I never sewed again.  Seriously.  Until I made a weighted blanket for Z last year, I really don't know that I ever did sew again.  
We just repainted the boy's room this beautiful aqua color.  There isn't a thing on the walls right now.  I was thinking maybe I would like to do something like this for them.  I think it would be better to have soft things on the wall in there, not glass picture frames.  I wanted to make some curtains, pillows, and name quilts all to coordinate in some pretty bright colors to go with the aqua.  I am guessing though, I may just need to make it my first priority to make a wall hanging for Miss R-a-c-h-e-l :) 

1 comment:

Neil, Amy and The Girls said...

Those wall hanging are super cute! I know what you mean about trying to find the time to do projects...it is almost impossible with little ones running around!