Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Z's hair

I wish I had pictures of Z's first year on my computer.  I want to post a picture of his first batch of curls he had.  They were a lot tighter than the curls he has now, they were SO cute!  I didn't want to cut it, but he got a really bad case of cradle cap, and I was messing with his head one day and got the scabs loose, but couldn't get them out of his hair b/c it was so long and curly.  The whole family almost cried when we cut his hair.  He had beautiful soft, springy curls.  I figured when it grew back out, it would look the same again, or maybe even curlier.  Most biracial children I see do have pretty curly hair, he doesn't, and most people don't believe me when I say he is African American.

The below picture, that is how it grew out.  Some curl, but very loose ones.   (I just had to add this one b/c he looks so young and cute with that paci!  This photo was taken about 6 months ago.  Totally unrelated, but he LOVED that paci, was very attached.  I had to get up in the night all the time to give it back to him.  One day his therapist suggested that I take it away from him so that I wouldn't have to keep getting up in the night.  Do you know, I took it away, and he never once cried for it.  Saw his brother with his, and didn't even care.  It was the weirdest, and easiest thing!  I guess you could blame that on the FAS....and mark that as a positive? haha)


This was a typical "just woke up" crazy hair day.  This was one of his cuter mornings...
 This was soon after a trim.  I wasn't too fond of the shorter bangs, but the curls were very pretty.  He got compliments on his hair everywhere we went. 
 This wasn't too long before we cut it.  You see, it got pretty long.  He looked like a totally different child than he does now.  We felt like his hair was part of his personality.  But, it was a nightmare to wash. He can't stand me to wash his head, and I could never get the soap washed out.  I couldn't comb it, and basically, how he looked when he woke up, was how it would be.

I look at the pictures though, and miss his curls.  I also like his older look he has now, and it is much easier to care for.  I was just thinking that I might want to grow it back out, and then hubby said the same thing to me today.  It is funny, when our oldest son was little, he had curls too, and we were pretty quick to keep his short. 
 The bottom picture was his first cut, and this last time, I got it too short.  He hates for me to cut it, so I wanted to get it good while I was getting it.
 I do like it here where it is longer on top, and I will at least grow it out to be more like the bottom picture.  I also had forgotten how tan he got over the summer...such a beautiful color!!  I love this photo of him...he cooperated so well...b/c he was at school, and I was not the one trying to take the picture.  :)
So....which hairdo do you prefer?  Curls, or no curls.  Is he too old to still have curls?  Just curious, what someone not blinded mother's love thinks....b/c I think he is just absolutely beautiful no matter what!!! 

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Well as a mom to a curly-headed boy myself.. I LOVE THE CURLS. I have a happy medium.. short on the sides and back, longer on top.. LOVE IT. :) I'm with you, though.. it's gotta be EASY.

Lisa said...

I love the curly but he's a cutie patootie with short hair too. :)
Don't think you can go wrong either way.

andreawilliams said...

Super cute either way but I sure do LOVE those curls!!!

Neil, Amy and The Girls said...

I am new to your blog so I had never seen Z with curls...oh my goodness, SO ADORABLE! I like his hair short too...he is cute no matter what!