Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A very special Christmas gift

At Thanksgiving, my grandmother and I were talking about black-eyed peas.  I had cooked some for lunch that day, and I was telling her how we like to cook a pot of some kind of beans or peas most days b/c of the high fiber content.  She was asking me what I like to put on my peas, and I told her that I have often thought about the tomato sauce she used to make, and how that would be good.  I didn't think another word about that conversation. 

My grandmother just turned 94 years old right before Christmas.  Do you know what she made me for my Christmas gift?  I jar of her special tomato sauce.  I remember when I was a little girl, everyone putting that on their black-eyed peas, and I woudl turn my nose up.  It seems like about the time I got over myself and began liking it, she didn't make it much anymore.  Oh my this stuff is yummy!  It has just a slight sweetness to it that is just a nice surprise as you are eating it.  Can I tell you how much I love that my children also turn their nose?  Everytime I eat it, I tell them I am so glad they don't want my tomato sauce, but they sure don't know what they are missing!!  I want this jar to last as long as it can!   My grandmother has macular degeneration, and some days are worse than others, but it has become pretty difficult for her to see.  One of the things she still enjoys doing is cook on days she is feeling well.  I don't know how much time and energy it took for her to make this tomato sauce for me, but it is a very special gift.  Just the smile on her face as I opened my jar of tomato sauce showed me the love that she poured into this jar for me.  This is the gift that keeps on giving each time I eat peas.  I love her so much!!

6 comments:

MamaBear said...

Awwww! Do you have her recipe?

GB's Mom said...

You are so blessed to still have her :)

Lisa said...

This post made cry. I miss my grandmother so much. She would always make cornmeal gravy every. day. of. the. year. Cornmeal gravy has a very distinct wonderful smell so whenever I miss her I have to make a pan. Thank goodness I paid attention in the kitchen. There are many recipes that she made that I would love to have the recipe to. I hope you ask your grandmother for the recipe.

I'm so glad to know where you moved to. I've missed you. XOXOX

Aunt Susie said...

I have the recipe if you want it. Better yet, come see her and help her make it. I could take care of the kiddos! Ha! We should do that this summer when the veggies are in season.

Lisa said...

I'm hoping when you get your hot little hands on that recipe that you'll share it with us. Hint..hint
:)

Neil, Amy and The Girls said...

Awww...loved this post. What a special gift.